Business Development Specialist at The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) May 2018
NAFASI ZA KAZI/AJIRA
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST
IITA-TZ-R4D-005/18-NRS-DSMIITA is looking for a suitably qualified person to fill the position of Business Development and Technology Transfer Specialist for the Aflasafe Technology Transfer and Commercialization Project.
Aflasafe is a revolutionary biocontrol product developed at IITA in cooperation with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), which reduces the prevalence of aflatoxins in treated maize and groundnut by 80% - 99% from farm to fork. Following years of painstaking scientific work to develop products tailored for Africa and firmly establish their efficacy, Aflasafe is ready to be manufactured and distributed to farmers at scale.
The Aflasafe Technology Transfer and Commercialization (ATTC) project is led by the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is designed to carefully and efficiently identify strategic options for partnership with private companies or Government entities. execute those partnerships, and help to ensure the distinct Aflasafe products reach millions of farmers. It has the goal of putting 500,000 hectares of smallholder farmland under aflatoxin treatment by the year 2020. Aflasafe is a groundbreaking biocontrol product whose full economic and health potential can only be realized by leveraging the power of the private sector. ATTC will identify and support businesses that will invest in manufacturing, marketing, and distribution of aflasafe for the benefit of African businesses, smallholder farmers, and consumers.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa's most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future
The position will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- BA required, MA/MBA in agribusiness, strategy, marketing, or related field preferred. An additional degree in agriculture field will be an advantage
-5-10 years of professional experience supporting commercial agribusiness production, sales and marketing operations in Tanzania. Experience promoting the introduction and adoption of new agriculture technologies for smallholder farmers preferred.
-Demonstrated practical experience in engaging with private companies in the marketing of agricultural inputs and outputs
-Very good knowledge of the maize and groundnut value chains in Tanzania
-Ability to work well in multi-institutional and multi-disciplinary teams.
-Ability to work independently.
-Experience in leading multi-stakeholder initiatives
-Excellent oral and written communication in English and Kiswahili required.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Business Development Specialist (BDS) will support implementation of the ATTC project in Tanzania including coordinating all country activities. Specific duties include:
• Build a business case for aflasafe in Tanzania and engage potential public and private sector investors for aflasafe distribution.
• Facilitate the identification and selection of manufacturing and distribution partners in Tanzania
• Liaise with and support businesses to market, distribute, and adopt aflasafe in Tanzania.
• Support country education and communication efforts to teach urban and rural consumers and producers, particularly smallholder farmers, about aflatoxin safety and to increase demand for aflasafe.
• Engage with key value chain stakeholders to raise awareness of the potential profitability resulting from sourcing, distributing, and/or exporting aflatoxin-safe produce.
• Engage with state and local governments on subsidy schemes and enforcement of aflatoxin safety measures to reduce health impact
• Assist IITA and potential investors with the logistics of aligning supply and demand for aflasafe by helping secure firm orders and advising on the steps to ensure on-time delivery.
• Other duties as determined by the supervisor
The initial contract for the position is two years with possibility of renewal. This is a nationally recruited position and IITA otters a competitive remuneration package.
Applications including curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, telephone number, email address, and names and addresses of two referees should be sent to the
Plot No. 25, Mwenge - Coca-Cola Road,
Mikocheni Industrial Area,
P.O. Box 34441,
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania or by email to IITA-Tanzania@cgiar.org
Applicants are requested to please indicate the reference number for the position as indicated on the heading of the announcement in your application as well as on the subject of your email if sending by email. If sending by post or hand delivery, please indicate the reference number on your application as well as on the left hand side of your envelope. Please note that any applications without the reference number indicated will be automatically disqualified.
Two weeks from the date of advertisement appearing in the newspaper.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Source: The Guardian May 17, 2018