Humanitarian Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL) Coordinator at Save The Children Tanzania, April 2018
NAFASI ZA KAZI/AJIRA
HUMANITARIAN MONITORING, EVALUATION, ACCOUNTABILITY & LEARNING
Level 3 - the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
The job holder will be responsible for coordinating Humanitarian Response Programme monitoring, evaluation, accountability & learning efforts in Kigoma and ensure high quality programming for Refugee children, youth, partners and donors. In close collaboration with the Emergency response Manager and Emergency Field manager as well as thematic Coordinators, the MEAL Coordinator
will play leading role in coordinating the implementation of strategies to ensure proper planning, implementation, monitoring & evaluation of the Response projects and the timely dissemination of best practices & lessons learned. The MEAL Coordinator will also be responsible to lead in coordinating MEAL related activities of other for all the projects being implemented by Save the Children (SC in Kigoma). She/he is responsible to ensure that the delivery of the programs is in line with SCI’s Minimum Operating Standards, donor requirement, SC MEAL essential standard and specific programmatic approaches designed by the Donor and Response Quality Bench Marks.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
The position is under the line management of the Emergency Response Manager and is directly reporting to this post. The MEAL coordinator will also have dotted line management to the Country programme’s MEAL Advisor. This post has direct coordination role of all program teams to get the monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning tasks of projects and programs performed appropriately so as to contribute to achieve the organizational goal and objectives.
Reports to: Emergency Response Manager.
Staff directly reporting to this post: MEAL officers.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead on monitoring and improving the synergy and integration of sectors to enhance delivery of outstanding results for children and their communities
- Design and implement participatory and result based MEAL system that will generate timely information and feedback to project counterparts at all levels, and to management and donors
- Lead the development of the MEAL plan for all the Awards in the Humanitarian Response.
- Leading and/or coordinating research aspects of the project including taking an active role in framing research questions and development, adaptation and testing of monitoring & evaluation and TORs
- Develop and implement a work plan for rolling out the MEAL system at program and field office level
- Provide technical support to Programme manager/project Officer on implementing M&E plan, Detailed Implementation Plan (DIP) & Logical Framework
- Support project staff to collect good quality monitoring data in a timely manner and collect / organize data received for reporting to the country office and area office
- Closely work with the MEAL team in Kigoma region and Dar el Salam based programme staff on the design and roll-out of standardised monitoring tools and methodologies
- Provide technical support for the identification of appropriate indicators and relevant data sources, and the development of data collection systems and tools for the programs
- Coordinate and oversee the development and maintenance of appropriate databases to accurately track data collected from various interventions across program activities
- Building the capacities of field office staffs on the application of the various MEAL tools and providing day-to-day technical assistance to them in the implementation of the tools, including onsite support
- Compile and produce quality organizational reports as per the donor and partners requirements; documentation/sharing of success stories, best practices and lessons learned on a regular basis
- Ensure that regular reports are generated from monitoring data and that findings are communicated effectively to appropriate persons and units
- Undertake field visit to monitor and supervise project implementation, identify bottlenecks and success stories
- Supporting project teams to implement baseline, mid-term and final evaluations, as well as country-level data analysis and participate in formative & operation researches, joint projects monitoring and reviews / lessons learning workshops/events
- Lead on accountability activities, including the development and use of information materials and the establishment of a pilot complaints response mechanism
- Serves as focal person for the implementation of Knowledge Management and Learning (KML) and child safeguarding policies/procedures
- Promote learning throughout the area office, particularly on issues of programme quality. Regularly produce and report on best practices and case studies
- Ensure that children, women and other vulnerable community members are included in all MEAL activities
- Work with communication manager or officer to document and share progress and achievements of the programs in the region
- Perform other duties as and when delegated by the line manager
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- BA/MSc degree in an area of social work or any other related fields.
- At least 4 years experience of working in M&E with experience of developing M&E plans, training staff, capacity building, quantitative and qualitative data collection, analysis and reporting and/or other aspects of M&E in both emergency and development contexts, preferably with solid experience in more than one of the Save the Children priority sectors: Education in Emergencies, CPiE, Child rights governance, , Health and Nutrition, and emergencies
- Experience in setting up and managing M&E systems, preferably in NGO setting
- Knowledge and/or experience of working on accountability initiatives, such as child participation, information sharing and complaints response mechanisms.
- MS Office applications, Word, Excel, Power Point, Spread sheets and other Statistical software
- Ability and willingness to travel to field sites and work in remote locations, often for prolonged periods of time
- Experience in and proven ability to support, train and mentor staff and partners in monitoring and evaluation methodology
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mind sets
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
- Knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Fluency in English, Kiswahili (both verbal and written) French and Kirundi will be an added advantage.
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children strategy, vision, mission, values and principles, good understanding and commitment to principles of child rights and child protection
Location: Kigoma Region, Tanzania
Contract - Full-Time
Closing date: Tuesday 24 April 2018
All jobs close at midnight UK time on the date specified