Consultant for USAID Tulonge Afya Project at FHI360 Tanzania, April 2018
NAFASI ZA KAZI/AJIRA TANZANIA
THE SCIENCE OF IMPROVING LIVES
CONSULTANCY OPPORTUNITYFHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff include experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology; creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries globally.
Currently, FHI 360 is seeking a qualified and experienced consultant to conduct a consultancy assignment for its USAID Tulonge Afya project. The project will catalyze opportunities for Tanzanians to improve health status by transforming socio-cultural norms and supporting the adoption of healthier behaviors. By addressing key social and cultural norms and SBCC system needs, USAID Tulonge Afya will identify the drivers of behaviors directly tied to health and leverage SBCC approaches to achieve the following results
• Result 1: Improved ability of individuals to practice healthy behaviors
• Result 2: Strengthened community support for health behaviors
• Result 3: Improved systems for coordination and implementation of SBCC interventions
This advertised consultancy assignment will contribute to achievement of Result 3.
Consultancy Overview - Tanzania SBCC Systems Audit
The Consultant will conduct a systems audit of key influencers, stakeholders, and alliances for Social and Behavior Change Communication (SBCC) at the national and regional levels to support the USAID Tulonge Afya Project in Tanzania. This systems audit includes mapping SBCC systems within the Ministry of Health, identifying and summarizing SBCC stakeholders (Including IPSs and donors), relationships between SBCC actors, existing capacity strengthening initiatives, and potential in-country consultants at both the national and regional levels.
Detailed Description of Tasks to be Performed
Task 1: Review of project documents develop protocol and report outline (Not to exceed: 3 days LOE)
Review USAID Tulonge Afya project documents and meet (in person or virtual) with technical staff to discuss project's expectations. With USAID Tulonge Afya staff's input develop criteria and search parameters for the SBCC Systems Audit at the national and regional level. This will serve as the guiding protocol for the SBCC Systems Audit. The protocol should include search and outreach methods. criteria for identification of key stakeholders and potential consultant roster. content to include in the report, a time line and work plan for completing data collection.
The USAID Tulonge Afya staff will provide an initial list of contacts. organizations, and consultants. It is expected the consultant will build on this list.
• Develop an outline for Tanzania SBCC Systems Audit Report and accompanying analysis matrices. It is anticipated that this report will include at minimum:
- methodology section
- map of SBCC systems that includes existing SBCC stakeholders (government, nongovernmental, donors etc.) and their mandates, priorities, and activities
- existing processes and methods for communication and collaboration within government among
- descriptions of relationships and alliances between stakeholders
- analysis of strengths and weaknesses
- inventory of existing capacity strengthening acitvities currently underway
- contact and skills matrix of potential consultants with experience in SBCC and institutional development
The report should be highly detailed with specifics of SBCC stakeholders mandate, activities, points of contact, future and areas of potential collaboration with USAID Tulonge Afya.
Task 2: Conduct SBCC Systems Audit (Not to exceed: 15 days of LOE).
Based on the agreed upon protocol (from Task 1), complete the SBCC Systems Audit.
Task 3: SBCC Systems Audit Report (Not to exceed: 8 days of LOE)
• Draft SBCC Systems Audit Report. The Landscape Analysis Report should follow the agreed upon format under Tasks 1. All reports submitted to FHI 360 should be copy edited and formatted.
• Final SBCC Systems audit Report addressing FHI 360 feedback and comments.
The total estimated duration of the assignment is 26 working days.
• Master's degree or its international equivalent in communication, public health, social sciences or related field; experience with SBCC programs an advantage
• Understanding of and expertise of the Tanzanian Ministry of Health, and SBCC systems stakeholders and processes
• Understanding of and experience with mapping networks and relationships
• At least 7 years of experience supporting SBCC programs in a development field
• Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to write reports and analytical documents in English
• Knowledge of the Tanzania culture and social environment
• Experience working in Tanzania preferred
• Excellent people skills, and ability to conduct interviews
• Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines
FHI 360 requests that all applications submissions be organized in the manner and format described below.
• Updated CV and references.
• Written statement (2-3 paragraphs) of why Applicant is suitable for the assignment and availability
Please send submissions by Monday 23 April 2018 to: email@example.com
Source: The Guardian April 16, 2018