Wildlife Conservation and Policy Specialist/Coordinator at Vi Agroforestry, March 2018
NAFASI ZA KAZI/AJIRA VI AGROFORESTRY TANZANIA
Role: Wildlife Conservation and Policy Specialist/Coordinator
Project: SEMA – Serengeti Mara Ecosystem Project
Duty Station: Mwanza, Tanzania
Reports to: Tanzania Country Manager
Contract Period: 1st of May 2018 – 31st January 2021
Send application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
and a copy to: email@example.com
Subject Line: SEMA Policy Specialist/Coordinator
About Vi Agroforestry
Vi Agroforestry is a Swedish NGO, improving livelihoods of small-holder farmer families through agroforestry and sustainable agriculture land management. The organization has been working in the East Africa region for over 30 years, primarily around the Lake Victoria Basin in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Rwanda. Its head office is in Stockholm, Sweden. Since its inception, Vi Agroforestry has reached 1, 8 million people and helped planting over 100 million trees. The foundation of Vi Agroforestry’s work is sustainable agriculture and agroforestry – growing trees alongside crops and livestock. It provides increased access to food, access to sustainable energy sources, more income. Sustainable agriculture contributes to the mitigation of climate change and protects against the negative effects of climate change.
The objective of the SEMA project is to contribute to the conservation of Mara-Serengeti transboundary ecosystems through empowering local communities in Tanzania and Kenya to adopt sustainable and diversified livelihoods and to promote regional dialogue, cooperation and community involvement in wildlife law enforcement and management of the Mara-Serengeti Transboundary Conservation Area. The Wildlife Conservation and Policy Specialist/Coordinator will be based in Mwanza, Tanzania and will have the overall responsibility for the successful initiation, planning and implementation of the project including responsibility for the regional dialogue, cooperation and community involvement in wildlife law enforcement and management of TFCA.
• To coordinate and prepare the Tanzania management activities, action plans, resources, M&E, timeframe, equipment, information and budget
• To be the Tanzania spokesperson and representative of the project and ensure standards and requirements are met
• Assign tasks and provide expertise and technical support to Tanzania project staff
• Create and maintain comprehensive program documentation, plans and reports
• Coordination of the Tanzania operational committee
• To engage and liaise with co-applicant, associates and contractors
• Liaise and engage with stakeholders and decision makers and promote cross-sectoral dialogue on TFCA developments at national and regional levels
• Facilitate regional and national policy dialogues to enhance networking, experience and information sharing on wildlife law enforcement
• Facilitate trans-boundary consultative workshops and forums for policy harmonization, enhanced cooperation and coordination of national actions
• Establish multi- sectoral stakeholder’s forum to strengthen networks, experience sharing and exchange of strategic resources within and between countries for law enforcement
• Support advocacy efforts and dialogue with local organization and Government agencies in enforcing laws and regulations on wildlife corridors.
• Enhance collaboration between learning institutions and the project
• Develop advocacy messages, policy analysis and presentations of Vi Agroforestry for various platforms
• To engage in resource mobilization
• Master’s degree in wildlife management, natural resource management, environmental science or related field and at least three years of relevant and proven working experience in related field or bachelor’s degree in relevant field and at least 5 years of relevant and proven working experience in related field.
• Project management skills and experience
• Strong skills and work experience in advocacy, networking and facilitation
• This position requires strong oral communication, negotiation, analytical, listening and presentation skills together with excellent command of written and spoken English and Swahili
• Experience in working with civil society and government structures
• Knowledge of development cooperation and experience in EU funds management
• Knowledgeable about regional and national natural resource, wildlife and conservation policies and familiarity with policy research methodology and analytics
• Tanzanian nationals only
• Social and cultural sensitivity
• People oriented and results driven
• Takes initiative and seeks opportunities to initiate action
• Experience in the fields of gender equality and human rights
Deadline for the application is 22 of March not later than 4.30 pm.
If you meet the set criteria, please send your application letter and CV.
Vi Agroforestry is an equal opportunity employer and canvassing is prohibited.
Source: The Guardian 12 March 2018