IT Specialist at JSI Research & Training Institute, March 2018
NAFASI ZA KAZI/AJIRA JSI
Tanzania Community Health and Social Welfare Systems Strengthening Program
Location: CHSS Central Office-Dar es Salaam
The Community Health and Social Welfare Systems Strengthening CHSS Program (CHSSP) is a five-year USAID funded cooperative agreement led by JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI) with partner World Education, Inc. CHSSP’s goal is to build capacity the of the Government of Tanzania’s health and social welfare structures at the community level to enable more accessible, higher quality health and social services for HIV affected and other vulnerable populations in targeted communities in Tanzania.
The IT Specialist is a full-time position and will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. S/he will set up and maintain the IT systems and provide ongoing IT support for the Community Health and Social Welfare Systems Strengthening Program. JSI is a public-health company, not an Information Technology company. The mission of the Information Technology Specialist at JSI is to support the public health work that we do as part of the CHSS Program. The IT Specialist reports to the Senior Finance and Operations Manager.
Primary Responsibilities & Duties
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Managing the design and implementation of information technology and technical assistance activities, to include (but not limited to): Internet based database development and maintenance, information technology training and technical assistance, managing computer networks and websites, developing data warehouses, contributing insight in areas of specific expertise, and other activities as needed or assigned by supervisor;
- Supervising existing network and desktop support group for all CHSS offices;
- Planning the continuing development, implementation and management of the office's information systems including the local and wide area networks, telecommunications, and other functions in Dar es Salaam and regional offices;
- Working with the home office and field team senior management to develop short and long term IT goals and objectives for the entire project;
- Researching the purchase, rental and lease of computer systems, communications services, hardware, software and other services to meet the needs of the project;
Establishing and enforcing IT policies, standards, practices, software manuals and security measures to ensure effective operations and to safeguard information resources;
- Directing the continuous improvement of the equipment and procedures to maintain pace with technological progress and business needs;
- Assist in testing new software or new versions of existing software used in CHSS offices;
- Developing and reviewing specifications of computer hardware to be purchased for CHSS; install or monitor the installation of hardware in CHSS offices where appropriate;
- Establishing contracts for computer services to be provided to CHSS offices by third parties;
- Performing any other duties as assigned by supervisor which are in line with the general concept of this position; and
- Occasional travel to the Zonal offices to support IT systems set-up in new offices and provide ongoing support as needed.
- Advanced degree in computer science, information technology, or related field;
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in designing, developing, or implementing information technology projects in developing countries;
- Relevant experience with USAID-funded programs and knowledge of USAID rules, and regulations strongly desired;
- Experience with IT procurement strongly desired;
- Strong knowledge of business applications and IT operations;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Excellent verbal and written English;
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Access;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- A proven ability to work as part of a team and to be self-managing;
- Able to travel to project regional offices; and
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality for all project and staff proprietary matters.
JSI Research & Training, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or protected veteran status in any employment decisions. M/F/V/D