Project Accountant - Regional Intergration Support Programme (RISP) at The East African Community (EAC), February 2018The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Republic of South Sudan and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
NAFASI ZA KAZI/AJIRA JUMUIYA YA AFRIKA MASHARIKI
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, South Sudan and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Community-Secretariat.
PROJECT ACCOUNTANT-REGIONAL INTEGRATION SUPPORT PROGRAMME (RISP)
Grade: Professional Staff Category (P1 Equivalent)
Reports: Director, Finance
Funding: Partnership Fund (RISP)
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To provide strategic advice and guidance on financial management issues relating to projects funded by the EU, in particular RISP 3, and to ensure optimal utilization of financial resources.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Set up and review the accounting, financial and related systems in compliance with the requirements of the donor funds. Where these exist, ensure compliance;
- Assist the Partnership Fund Manager and - where required - other managers of project supported by European Development Fund (EDF) in planning and coordinating the preparation of cost estimates, budget, and financial forecasts, as well as advising on financial requirements of EDF projects.
- Administer procedures and practices for EDF management, expenditure control and financial reporting of budgetary funds, as well as ensuring that there are no budget overruns.
- Maintain proper accounting records and monthly as well as quarterly reports, including analysis of accounts to ensure that decision makers receive timely and accurate information.
- Preparation of the year-end Financial Statements for purposes of Audit.
- Prepare for and coordinate and oversee teams carrying out audits and Expenditure Verification exercises of RISP 3, as well as coordinate timely response to any queries from these audits by EAC management
- Prepare Financial Management reports for the EAC Secretariat and the EU.
- Preparation of Monthly bank reconciliation statements
- Perform any other duties that will be assigned by the Director, Finance from time to time
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in commerce (Accounting option), Business Administration/Management (Financial Accounting option) or equivalent degree from a recognized University/Institution.
- At least five (5) years’ experience in a busy accounting office. Professional qualification such as CPA or ACCA is a must for this positions while relevant experience in a donor funded project at a regional /international level will be an added advantage.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Proficiency in computerized financial management information systems, good communication and report writing skills, as well as good inter-personal skills.
- Proven experience working on EU funded programmes and projects will be an added advantage
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE:
The above position offers attractive salary.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
RELEVANT WORKING EXPERIENCE:
Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned positions are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, names and contact details of three referees, and copy of National Identity Card, or Birth Certificate or Passport showing date of birth. Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope. For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 23 February 2018.
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o. Box 1096
Arusha - Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
Website : www.eac.int
- You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
- Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted
- EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.