Finance & Operations Manager at The Foundation for Civil Society (FCS), February 2018
NAFASI ZA KAZI/AJIRA FOUNDATION FOR CIVIL SOCIETY (FCS)
Foundation for Civil Society (FCS) is an independent Tanzanian Not-For-Profit Development Organization that provides grants and capacity building services to Tanzania based Civil Society Organizations (CSOs). It is currently one of main sources of funding to Tanzanian CSOs - thereby working with citizens to become key driving forces for positive influence of democratic governance in Tanzania and better quality of life for all citizens. FCS is thus an intermediary support mechanism for CSOs in Tanzania and seeks to enable effective engagement of citizens in poverty reduction initiatives in ways that are complementary to government and Development Partners (DPs) efforts towards poverty reduction as set out in Tanzania’s main development frameworks: Vision 2025 and the Five Year Development Plan 2016-2020.
The Foundation is inviting applications from qualified, dynamic and motivated Tanzanians to fill the following vacant position in its offices in Dar es Salaam. This positions offer an excellent opportunity to work with and learn from civil society organizations from all over the country.
POSITION: Finance & Operations Manager
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
SUPERVISION: Principal Accountant; ICT Officer & HR & Administrative Officer
The Finance & Operations Manager is overall responsible for prudent financial management aspects of the Foundation, human resource management, contracts management, ICT and general office administration. He/she oversees these operations of the Organization and is tasked with leading the Foundation overall Financial, Human Resources and ICT strategy. The incumbent works hand in hand with the Business Development Unit in addressing issues related to sustainability and resource mobilization and Program unit in financial Management of the grants. The incumbent manages the development and implementation of the departmental goals, objectives, policies and priorities for each function.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Financial & Grant Management
- Formulation and implementation of sound financial and accounting policies, procedures and standards to support corporate strategy, including the designing and/reviewing the organization's financial policies, rules and regulations and ensuring that they are being adhered to.
- Responsible for financial strategic planning of the Organization including: development of annual activity budgets; undertaking cost-benefit analysis of various portfolios; and assessing income generation opportunities.
- Draft and/or review Organization’s and contracts’ budgets, cash flow projections, prepare documentation for contract modifications as necessary; monitor the budgets and review programme pipelines monthly, and provide monthly feedback to the management and other departments on the financial status of the budgets.
- Subject to reporting requirements between FCS and its donors and contractors, develop and oversee systems for reporting on results and finances regularly to meet the requirements in concert with the Executive Director (including monthly expense reports, quarterly financial reports, accrual projections, and other requirements).
- Managing sub-grantee agreements on financial aspects of the grants and Participate in resource mobilization activities and in drafting new requests for proposals (RFPs).
- Review/develop and manage the implementation of the financial policies and procedures taking into account donors, contractors and the Government of Tanzania regulations and guidelines.
- Oversee preparation of financial accounts/statements and ensure that they comply with donor and contracts’ requirements, the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and the National Board of Accountants and Auditors (NBAA), as well as ensuring tax returns, annual foundation returns, financial/accounting reports and audits are filed to the relevant authorities as required.
- Coordinate annual audits by external auditors, prepares responses to management letters and present audited financial statements to the Board of Directors for approval before submission to donors and contractors, government authorities and interested parties. Coordinate any financial reviews and audits of FCS by donors, contractors and other interested parties.
- Responsible for HR Development originating and leading FCS’s human resources practices and objectives and promoting employee-oriented and high performance culture by emphasizing quality, productivity and standards and goal attainment.
- Institute a coordinated approach for business process management of the Foundation including: updating and revising human resources manuals and policies, as required, compensation assessment and harmonization, assessment and review of FCS benefits packages, payroll system development.
- Supervise the preparation of payrolls ensuring they are properly authorized and accounted for, completed on time, and that statutory and other deductions are withheld from employees and remitted properly to the appropriate parties.
- Manage the recruitment processes of staff at managerial level and above and oversee the recruitment of low cadre staffs. Ensure recruitment procedures are met and managed
- Monitor the scheduling, efficiency and deliverables of all training for the FCS’s staff and organization.
- Ensure good employee relations and a safe environment of care for all staff. Where required , manage the disciplinary matter appropriately
- Ensure consistent management of all proposals and contracts including oversight of the contract management process, as well as development of specific standards for bidding and submission, contract negotiations and document management in line with the FCS’s procurement guidelines
- Review procurement documents and provide approval for compliance and financial availability.
- Review of the procurement procedure of the Foundations to ensure relevance to the guidelines at all times.
- Work with Executive Director and other department units to efficiently and effectively manage and safeguard resources and assets of the organization including their disposal and/or de-recognition.
Academic and/or Professional Qualifications & Experience
- CPA (T) holder or its equivalent & Masters in a business related field, finance or an equivalent combination of education and experience.Five years of relevant experience from reputable organisations.Experience working with donor -funded projects is an added advantage.
- Skills in developing and formulating strategy. Thorough knowledge of accounting regulations and practices.
- Demonstrated experience providing reliable and accurate financial information. Knowledge of financial and accounting systems and proficiency in accounting packages. Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills to include task and time management, multi-tasking, prioritizing, and meeting deadlines. Good leadership and coaching skills. Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact positively with staff members across departments.
How to Apply for the Position
Please submit your applications by enclosing;
(i) Application Letter
(ii) Detailed CV
(iii) Certified copies of Academic certificates
(iv) Names and addresses of three referees
Applications in hard copies or electronic copies shall be submitted to;
Foundation for Civil Society
7 Madai Crescent, Ada Estate, Plot No.152
Dar es Salaam.
The deadline for submission is Thursday, 1st March 2018, at 15:00 hrs. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be called for interviews.
The Foundation has zero tolerance to bribery and corruption. We are committed to Gender Equality and Diversity.
The Foundation is also an equal opportunity employer and therefore all applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetics, disability and age.