Employment Opportunities at The Commission for Human Rights and Good Governance
THE UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA
THE UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA
NAFASI ZA AJIRA TUME YA HAKI ZA BINADAMU NA UTAWALA BORA
VACANCIESThe Appointments Committee for Appointment of Commissioners, established under Article 129(4) of the Constitution of the United Republic of Tanzania, 1977 [as amended], hereby invites applications from suitably qualified Tanzanian citizens to apply for the posts of Chairperson, Vice Chairperson and Commissioners in the Commission for Human Rights and Good Governance.
POST: CHAIRPERSON (1 POST)
An applicant must qualify for appointment as a Judge of the High Court or Court of Appeal. Required Experience An applicant must have:
a) Knowledge, experience and a considerable degree of involvement in matters relating to law, governance, politics or social affairs;
b) The highest reputation known for his/her morality, integrity, impartiality and competence in matters of human rights and good governance;
c) Strong commitment to human rights norms and values;
d) Excellent writing and communication skills in both English and Swahili;
e) Ability to balance rights and to make fair and sound decision expeditiously, and to articulate them in writing or orally;
f) Capacity to handle emotionally difficult and challenging situations with tact and diplomacy;
g) Capacity to handle delicate social and political situations and complaints with confidentiality, where necessary;
h) Strong conflict resolution skills; and
i) Ability to work effectively as a team member, as well as alone.
• Overseeing the implementation of the policies and the strategic direction of the Commission.
• Identify and allocate responsibilities to Commissioners.
• Conduct hearings of sensitive and high profile complaints of administrative injustice and human rights violations.
• Verify and approve decisions written by Commissioners/subordinate staff for accuracy and quality of content.
• Where possible, resolve special complaints by use of alternative dispute resolution techniques such as mediation and conciliation. Approve the designed and developed educational programs to raise public awareness and understanding of human rights and administrative justice issues.
• Supervise the preparation and publication of the Commission's annual reports, educational materials and special thematic reports.
• Participate regularly as resource person in workshops, conferences and seminars organized and conducted by the Commission for specific target groups.
• Act as the spokesperson for the Commission and represent the Commission in national and international workshops symposia and conferences on human rights and administrative justice issues.
Duty Station: Dodoma.
To be determined by the President but not less than range LSSE/8 - 1 and additional attractive fringe benefits.
POST: VICE CHAIRPERSON (1 POST)
Qualifications and Experience
Applicants should have either the same qualifications and experience required for the post of the Chairperson or those for the Commissioners.
• The Vice-Chairperson will report to the Chairperson and will assist the latter to carry out any duties assigned to him/her.
• The Vice- Chairperson will act in the absence of the Chairperson.
Duty Station: Dodoma To be determined by the President but not less than range LSSE/7- 1 and additional attractive fringe benefits.
POST OF COMMISSIONERS (5 POSTS)
Applicants should posses at least Bachelor's Degree in matters relating to Law, Governance, Politics or Social affairs.
Applicants should have the same experience required for the post of the Chairperson.
• The Commissioners will report directly to the Chairperson and will participate as members of the Commission in the formulation and implementation of major policy decisions of the Commission. The Commissioners shall direct, supervise and oversee the functions of one of the Departments of the Commission.
• Assist the Chairperson to discharge the functions of the Commission.
• Carry out any other duties that may be assigned to them by the Chairperson.
Duty Station: Dodoma (4) and Zanzibar (1)
To be determined by the President but not less than range LSSE/6 - 1 and additional attractive fringe benefits.
MODE OF APPLICATIONS
1. Applications should be accompanied with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae, copies of educational qualifications, three letters of recommendation, including telephone numbers or e-emails addresses.
2. The applications should be forwarded by registered post mail, or e-mail or submitted in person to the Secretary of Appointment Committee, do Executive Secretary, Commission for Human Rights and Good Governance, P.O. Box 2643, Luthuli Street, Plot No. 10, Dar es Salaam; email email@example.com.
3. The deadline for submission of applications for both interested applicants and those nominated by Civil society organisations with their consent, shall be 21 days from the date of first publication of the advertisement. i.e. on or before 5th January, 2018.
TENURE AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE:
Appointments to all the advertised posts shall be for a period of three years subject to reappointment for no more than a second term not exceeding three years. Other terms and conditions of service shall be as provided for under the Constitution of the United Republic of Tanzania, 1977 and the Commission for Human Rights and Good Governance Act Cap. 391 of 2010.
NOTIFICATION AND PUBLICATION OF SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES:
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted in person and invited for an interview to be conducted by the Appointments Committee. The names of all shortlisted candidates will be published in the national print and electronic media whereby members of the public will be invited to submit to the Secretary of the Appointments Committee, Attorney General's Chambers, P.O. Box 9050 Kivukoni Front, (Next to the High Court of Tanzania) Dar es Salaam, Fax no. +255 -22-2124970; email firstname.lastname@example.org within a specified time, comments they consider relevant to the suitability of any of the shortlisted candidates.
OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY, APPOINTMENTS COMMITTEE
DAILY NEWS MONDAY DECEMBER 18 2017