District Education Support Officer at PCI Tanzania, February 2018
NAFASI ZA KAZI/AJIRA PCI TANZANIAJob Title: District Education Support Officer, Tanzania
Tracking Code: 588-566
PCI is a non-profit organization dedicated to preventing diseases, improving community health, and promoting sustainable development worldwide. With support from United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), PCI Tanzania will be implementing the final phase of Food for Education (FFE) programming in the Mara region (2017-2021). The goal of the program is to improve literacy among primary school students, and increased use of health and dietary practices, empower women etc. In line with programmes objectives, growth and sustainability, PCI wishes to attract talents and professionals to help run the programme.
POSITION SUMMARY AND PURPOSE:
The District Education Support Officer (DESO) will work hand in hand with the District Education Officers and Ward Education Officers in districts for implementing FFE III program, on matters related to education and specifically program issues related to Literacy improvement. The DESO will provide technical support and ensure the quality implementation of activities in project schools according to program goals, objectives and targets. The DESO will employ an integrated approach, seeking to oversee all education related interventions and strive to synergize with other sector activities. S/he will also provide support in project planning, monitoring and reporting to EPs. S/he is expected to maintain effective working relationships with other PCI staff working on the program, key government partners, beneficiaries and NGOs working in the same geographical area
To coordinate and provide backstopping to partners and Education Promoters at district, ward and school/village levels in successfully implementation of Education interventions through planning together and community-centered approaches in order to establish supportive environment for program interventions implementation. To coordinate implementation of education program activities at the district level; support monitoring, evaluation and research activities; facilitate collective problem solving; promote quality assurance; strengthen linkages and information exchange between program staff, education stakeholders and beneficiaries.
This position will report to the Regional Education Sector Coordinator and Technical Advisor.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Leadership and Supervision (15%)
Coordinate and manage PCI's Education activities at district level, providing direct supervision and support to the PCI Education Promoters for the ECGs at the District level.
Participate in monthly education sector planning meetings, and quarterly and annual staff program meetings.
Facilitate development of annual performance objectives for staff under your direct supervision.
Conduct six months and annual staff performance review to direct report employees in at the district.
Implementation of Education Program Activities (45%)
- Contribute to high level of program implementation, learning by working closely with the district education office, ward education offices and other key education stakeholders.
- Identify training needs aimed at building capacity of Teachers, community and parents.
- Work closely with Ward Education Officers and Head Teachers to support non-monetary motivation events and Mobilize parents and community members to contribute additional books during student graduation, parents day and designated reading weeks in the district
- Support the District Education department and strengthen their capacity to progressively take on and manage FFE – related program elements
- Work closely with the Education department to provide support to the WEOs in monitoring and providing direct support to Head Teachers and School Management Committees, and ensuring that mutually agreed plans are successfully implemented
- Together with support from the MLE Support Officers, analyze reports from Head Teachers and WECs and support the District to provide targeted support to underperforming wards or schools
- Provide supervision and support to village-based Education Cascade Group promoters, and facilitate trainings to this new intervention
- Serve as a key point of two-way communication between PCI and the District with all matters pertaining to the Education sector, harmonizing any changes in plans on the part of either PCI or the District.
Technical Support & Quality Assurance (15%)
- Facilitate required trainings, supervision, follow-ups, etc. at the school and community levels in coordination with District Education Officer, Ward Education Officers and District Quality Assurance Officers.
- Organize sessions designed for capacity building training at the district and ward levels to strengthen quality of literacy.
- Communicate and address challenges and concerns from the district, ward and schools that affect implementation of the education program activities in coordination and collaboration with PCI project team.
- Participate in monthly, quarterly and annual program meetings.
- Collect success stories from the district and share with District ML&E Support Officer.
Documentation, Monitoring and Reporting (15%)
- Support the PCI district ME&L in monitoring in collaboration with District School Quality Assurance Officers and Ward Education Officers.
- In collaboration with District ME&L Support Officers organize data collected from schools for easy access by relevant officers when needed.
- Prepare Monthly education sector reports timely and any other education sector reports required by the program for submission to relevant departments for compilation.
- Disseminate Education Sector report to relevant stakeholders when and as needed.
- In collaboration with the ME&L department facilitate generation of accurate documentation of PCI education program activities from the district education departments with program’s M&E plan and tools.
- Participate in project situation analysis, baseline survey, midterm reviews, final evaluation and studies conducted within the project as may be requested and planned by the ME&L department.
Represent PCI in strategic forums at district and ward levels and sharing with the Regional Education Coordinator & Technical Advisor and Program Manager the outcomes of such meetings.
Other Duties as assigned – including (5%)
Other duties as assigned by supervisor or country office
- APPLIED KNOWLEDGE: Demonstrates understanding of PCI Tanzania, job, and work procedures. Demonstrates knowledge and practical know-how as needed for position.
- TEAMWORK: Participates, listens, and contributes in a team environment; understands individual role. Appropriate conduct; respectful; works well with colleagues.
- EXTERNAL RELATIONS: Represents and promotes PCI Tanzania both inside and outside the normal scope of business with tact, responsibility and diplomacy (donors, governments, partner organizations, vendors, etc.).
- INITIATIVE/LEADERSHIP: Self-starter; follows jobs through to completion; is resourceful. Meets work commitments with a minimum amount of supervision.
- MEETS DEADLINES: Arranges work load, plans, and establishes priorities; Works effectively and efficiently to meet deadlines.
- WORK QUALITY: Performs responsibilities effectively; demonstrates accuracy, precision, neatness and completeness.
- University degree in Education, with a focus on Early Childhood, Primary Education or Teachers Education preferred; or social
- Master's degree in Education, Psychology, Curriculum Development, Teaching Methods or Education Administration and or Post Graduate Diploma in Education Administration is an added advantage.
- At least 3years experience in education programming, with a focus on enhancing quality education and or literacy promotion preferred.
- High level of experience in coordination at district level
- Ability to organize training and skilled in preparing stakeholders meetings.
- Effective and proficient communication in English and Kiswahili languages
Please apply by 28 Feb 2018
Please Note: Only Successful Candidates will be contacted
Musoma, , Tanzania