Senior Reading Specialist at RTI International, January 2018
NAFASI ZA KAZI / AJIRA RTI INTERNATIONAL TANZNANIA
RTI (www.rti.org) is an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition. With a worldwide staff of more than 4,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and multidisciplinary services.
RTI is recruiting candidates for the USAID-funded Tanzania Tusome Pamoja "Let's Read Together" program
RTI International is accepting applications from qualified staff for the USAID/ Tanzania Tusome Pamoja Program (2016-2021) in Tanzania. The 5-year program will assist the Ministry of Education to replicate and scale up reading, writing and arithmetic improvement interventions in schools with an emphasis on curriculum and materials development for Grades 1-4 in Swahili and English. On behalf of the USAIDITanzania, RTI will work with regional, district, and ward personnel to implement reading, writing, and arithmetic reforms in four mainland regions of the country and Zanzibar, with support given to approximately 3000 public primary schools in the selected regions. Additionally, Tusome Pamoja will implement activities to engage communities and parents to further the goals of improved student learning outcomes.
We are accepting expression of interests (CV/Resumes) for the position of:
SENIOR READING SPECIALIST based in DAR ES SALAAM
The Senior Reading Specialist will provide overall technical oversight and guidance to the project's support to improved reading instruction in Tanzania. S/he will supervise the production of all Tusome Pamoja-supported reading materials including pupil books and teachers' materials, all Tusome Pamoja-supported teacher professional development in reading, all teacher classroom supervision and monitoring. S/he will ensure the fidelity of implementation of the activities in reading across the Tusome Pamoja regions, liaise with government representatives and stakeholder experts on technical matters, and bear ultimate responsibility for ensuring that children in Tusome Pamoja schools achieve improved outcomes in reading.
The Senior Reading specialist will serve as the technical counterpart for TIE, MoEST, MoEVT and non-ministry stakeholders in the development and adaptation of appropriate teaching and learning materials, including structured teacher materials. S/he will supervise and manage the technical inputs of local education staff, officers and consultants, as well as short term technical assistance. Slhe will contribute to the design and implementation of effective teacher professional development programs including teacher preparation, induction and in-service programs, and supportive classroom supervision focused on primary grade reading, curriculum design and materials development for early grade reading. S/he will develop new and strengthen existing partnerships with education institutions that can contribute to the creation and delivery of teacher professional development.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
Provide technical leadership for the USAID Tusome Pamoja curriculum development and teacher professional development activities. Specific activities include:
• Provide quality assurance in the design, implementation and evaluation of literacy and numeracy curricula and materials
• Assist the Chief of Party to ensure timely project implementation and technical fidelity, monitor project activities, and ensure quality
• Serve as the direct technical counterpart for the MoEST, MoEVT, and TIE in the development and adaptation of appropriate teaching and learning materials
• Ensure the technical quality of teacher professional development programs, including the face to face trainings, the classroom support system, and the community of practice interventions in Tusome Pamoja
• Coordinate input from other STTA reading experts, local and international
• Leverage project M&E data to inform adjustments in the project's technical approach and ensure continued improvement in student reading outcomes
• Develop and strengthen new and existing partnerships with other education institutions, contributing to the creation and delivery of quality teacher professional development activities and classroom support systems.
• Ensure full technical support to the program's M&E efforts and ensure that the M&E data collected inform
• improved implementation
Master's Degree in education, preferably with a specialty in literacy or early childhood education. A Ph.D in education with a focus on early childhood education and/or literacy is preferred. At least 12 years of experience in programs in sub-Saharan Africa that work to improve early grade reading is required. Prior experience with the development of early grade reading materials, training programs, classroom monitoring protocols, and tests and assessments including EGRA is required. Prior experience serving in a technical leadership capacity on USAID-funded projects preferred. Proven ability to lead, manage, and motivate personnel. Excellent communication skills and ability (verbal and written). Strong interpersonal skills and ability. Must be professionally proficient and fluent in written and spoken English. It is preferred, but not required, that the candidate be conversant and fluent in written and spoken Kiswahili.
To apply; please email your updated CV/Resume and Cover Letter only to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline is January 19, 2018. Please indicate name of the position that you are applying for in the Subject Line of your Application.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
RTI International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Source: The Guardian January 11, 2018