The Danish Refugee Council has been operating in Tanzania from October 2015 since the establishment of Nduta refugee camp. DRC is currently working in Nduta and Mtendeli refugee camps, with a current combined population of approximately 170,000. DRC is working in the sectors of Camp coordination & Camp Management, Community Services, Protection, Shelter/Construction and livelihoods in addition to General food distribution and Management of Extended Delivery Point.
The Project Manager represents the Danish Refugee Council for food distribution in Kibondo and has the direct responsibility for the management, implementation and continued development of the DRC outputs and activities in the field of General Food Distribution.
The Project Manager has financial and administrative responsibility for the GFD project and is also responsible for the planning and implementation of adequate security precautions for the programme to ensure the safety of all staff and assets.
The Project Manager will directly manage the program and support the teams in the two program locations of Nduta and Mtendeli camps, and ensure the quality and effectiveness of the General Food Distribution programming.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Program Manager GFD is responsible for the following tasks:
- Supervise effective, efficient and timely implementation of all food distribution activities according to agreed contracts, budgets, policies and in accordance with specific donor requirements
- Prepare project work plans in accordance with annual planning and funding cycles;
- Ensure that relevant beneficiary data is collected, compiled, analysed and distributed and that relevant assessments are conducted in the project area
- Provide regular internal and external reports, and other relevant information on programme activities, policy matters and external relations, based on agreed formats and schedules
Administration and Personnel Management
- Supervise budgeting and project expenditures, with assistance from the Grant Officer and Area Manager
- Supervise project human resources in the field. This includes further development of staff job descriptions, their training and monitoring, and recruitment
- Implement and monitor, and where necessary revise the implementation according to DRC’s administrative guidelines and policies including safety and security procedures, logistics support and other tasks associated with efficient day-to-day running of the food distribution
- Be responsible for organisational development for the project, including staff assessments
- Maintain close relations with all relevant stakeholders including the donor and UN agencies, officials from Ministry of Home Affairs, other donor representatives, INGOs, NGOs and CBOs
- In consultation with the Area Manager, ensure correct and timely narrative reporting to the donor
- Ensure effective coordination and visibility to the implementation of the projects with all humanitarian and development actors and relevant stakeholders
In this position, the candidate is expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
- Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
- Advanced University Degree in Economics, Social Science or related field
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in Food Management. Experience in development and implementation of projects in a complex context, with additional experience in sustainable livelihoods including quality monitoring and evaluation processes.
- Experience in working in partnership with UN Agencies – especially World Food Program
- Proven ability to build external relationships with diplomacy, tact and professionalism in a complex and demanding environment.
- Demonstrated experience in people management and team-building.
- Demonstrated experience in financial and asset management
- Demonstrated ability to undertake representation with senior government officials.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills in English
- Shown ability to work in an isolated and challenging environment
Availability: 1st January, 2018
Duty station: Kibondo, Tanzania with frequent travel to the field sites within Tanzania. This is a non-family duty station.
Duration: One year with possibility of extension, subject to funding.
Reporting: This position reports to the Area Manager based in Kibondo
Contract: 1 year contract dependent on both funding and performance. Salary and conditions in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Global Expatriates (available at www.drc.dk under Vacancies). This position is graded as A15. National staff the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for National staff
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies. Applications to be received by end of day 8th December 2017
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.dk