Advisor for Local Governance/Social Accountability at GIZ Tanzania
Advisor for Local Governance/Social. Accountability
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaftfur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development-policy objectives.
GIZ is looking to fill the position of an Advisor for Local Governance/Social Accountability in the Good Financial Governance Programme (GFG) in Tanzania.
Duty station: Dar es Salaam, with frequent travels to partner local government authorities all over the Tanzania.
Fixed term contract
Responsibilities The Advisor is responsible for
- Contributing to the objectives of GIZ's Good Financial Governance (GFG) programme in the field of action on 'social accountability', with a particular focus on work at local government level
- Establishing and managing various dialogue mechanisms between local population and administration on issues of concerns in districts
- Managing support to various partner organisations (civil society organisations), primarily at local level, combining skillsets in good local governance, social accountability and ideally Public Financial Management (PFM)
- Assisting the manager of the field of action in the technical and administrative implementation of GIZ's contribution, including the monitoring of achievements and reporting
- Analyses existing communication processes between partner local government authorities and respective local interest groups (mainly civil society and private sector) with a focus on the local tax system, use of own revenue, budget and auditing process
- Assists in negotiating appropriate local dialogue mechanisms between local government authorities, civil society and the private sector
- Provides technical advice on the concept of citizens' participation and collaboration in developing instruments and mechanisms to promote citizens' participation in discourses on public finances
- Collaborates on the design, planning and implementation of activities in the relevant field of action, mainly at local level
- Postgraduate Degree in Economics, Political Science, Public Administration, or Social Sciences
- At least 5 years of recent and relevant work experience on social accountability and good local governance.
- Knowledge and experience on social accountability tools and processes, as well as citizens' participation are essential
- Practical experience in working with civil society organisations at local level are essential
- Knowledge of good local governance and experience in working with local government authorities are essential
- Knowledge and experience of the Tanzanian reform agenda in the field of Public Financial Management (PFM) are desirable
- Experience in producing effective verbal and written communications are expected. If possible, the applicant is to provide a short sample of his/her writing (in English; no longer than two pages; any topic)
- IT-skills in using MS Word, Excel, Power Point are expected
- Fluent written and spoken English and Swahili are expected
Interested candidates should send their letter of application together with the CV and copies of academic certificates by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use the subject line "Advisor for local governance/social accountability". Applications in hard copy will not be accepted.
Closing date for submission: 17.10.2017.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
GIZ Tanzania is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from all qualified and eligible candidates regardless of their gender, origin, religion/belief, disability or any other minority group.
Source: Daily News October 06, 2017