MANAGER: ENGINEERING AND ASSET MANAGEMENT AT GEITA GOLD MINING LTD (GGML)Manager: Engineering and Asset Management
Geita Gold Mining Ltd (GGML) is Tanzania's leading gold producer with a single operation in Geita Region. The company is a subsidiary of AngloGold Ashanti, an international gold producer headquartered in South Africa, with operations in more than ten countries, in four continents. The mine is situated in the Lake Victoria Gold fields of North Western Tanzania, only about 85 km's from Mwanza City and 20 km's South East of the nearest point of Lake Victoria. The company has its head office in Geita, only 5 Km's west of the fast growing town of Geita, and also a supporting office in Dar es Salaam. Applications are invited from ambitious, energetic and performance driven individuals to fill in vacant position(s) mentioned below:
Position Manager: Engineering and Asset Management.
Job Number: GGM-2017-XRI-07.
Number of Positions: 01
Works For: Operations Manager
Qualifications: University Engineering Degree (Electrical or Mechanical) Or a Tertiary Equivalent Qualification.
• At least 7-10 years of direct hands-on experience in a relevant maintenance or service providing environment. Contract management experience would be an advantage. Previous Operational Management experience essential - with proven experience in leading teams in related fields.
• Proven asset management and reliability Capability
• Computer Literate (Outlook, Internet, MS Office- Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Excellent Organizational and Project management skills
• Excellent Communication Skills (both written & verbal)
• Analysis & Problem Solving skills
• Interpersonal skills
• Presentation skills
• Ability to manager conflict in a constructive manner
• Influence and motivate others
• Build relationships
• Interviewing techniques
• Compliance and governance knowledge
• To lead the implementation of a site wide asset management program
• Fostering a team environment -Inspiring and
• Motivating others, promoting Collaboration, Conflict management and Team work,
• Developing Others, Communicating powerfully and prolifically;
• Managing oneself- Taking ownership of one's personal development;
• Building Effective Working Relationships -The ability to build and maintain effective collateral and cross functional working relationship;
• Building Trust & Accountability> Displaying
• High levels of integrity and honesty;
• Creating Organizational Transformation -Displaying strategic perspectives in adapting plans for achieving organizational objectives;
• Maximizing Performance Results- Solving Problems and analyzing Issues, Driving for Results, Displaying Technical and Professional expertise, Innovating, Taking Initiative, championing Change, and Establishing Stretch Goals.
Purpose of the Role:
The purpose of this role is to assist the Operations Managers deliver site targets by development and adoption of both maintenance and asset integrity strategies for all plant, equipment and infrastructure thereby delivering reliable and safe performance at the optimum life cycle cost to support the production plan in the long term. This includes capital requirements.
Main or Key Accountabilities:
The key output of this role is to lead both maintenance and asset integrity strategies for all plant, equipment and infrastructure thereby delivering reliable and safe performance at the optimum life cycle cost to support the production plan. The incumbent will report directly to the Opejations Manager with a technical reporting line to the corporate head of function. The-incumbent will be required to form an integral part of both the Geita Gold Mine Management and the AGA International Team.
Key areas of accountability for the role include:
Overall Engineering Discipline:
• This role is accountable to provide management support in terms of the overall engineering and management function across the site
• To serve as liaison and first point of contact for engineering and asset management in terms of implementation of strategies and initiatives from both the region and corporate teams.
• To ensure that all areas of engineering and asset management are staffed by suitable qualified and experience persons and that health of discipline is manage across the site.
• To liaise with external stakeholders and suppliers thereby ensuring that stakeholder expectations are managed and or complied with
• To liaise with all other departments and functions thereby ensuring that the engineering function both supports and integrates completely with the other functions from cross functional perspective
• Develop, manage and maintain an appropriate level of both engineering and maintenance standards across site
• To perform the leadership functions of a senior manager in terms of both safety leadership and behavior
• To lead a program which identifies and ensure the appropriate mitigation of all hazards (inclusive of the management of major hazards and critical controls) within the engineering function
• To implement or maintain a SS program from Six Sigma - Lean theory across the sites engineering installations
Site Asset Management & Reliability:
This includes all engineering & maintenance departments within Geita Gold Mine
• Develop and implement an integrated asset management improvement plan aligned to both the AGA strategy and the site-specific opportunities.
• Develop and ensure the revision of maintenance tactics as appropriate but as a minimum to ensure migration towards appropriate condition based strategies for higher criticality equipment. This shall include undertaking RCM studies for new or unreliable equipment.
• To develop a comprehensive set of performance measures and as required to undertake both analyze and improve or defect elimination strategies to improve overall reliability and availability of plant and equipment. This shall include the completion of RCA's for critical equipment' failure
• Ensure that disciplined implementation of a work planning and control system thereby ensuring that the maintenance strategy is effectively and timeously executed. (This includes major shutdowns on both mobile and fixed plant)
• Develop and implement detailed equipment management plans for both high criticality and high value equipment
• Included within the role of asset management is to ensure both availability and capability of resources Optimize shutdowns to ensure maximum availability of equipment.
• To serve as on site discipline master in that this provides specialist skill on an onmine consulting level to the entire complex inclusive for all electrical, mechanical, civil, structural and control engineering functions inclusive ensuring adherence to design, maintenance and operational standards.
• To lead and or solicit the help of both group and external technical expertise for complex or repeated failure modes.
• Maintain a library of relevant engineering documentation within the operation inclusive, backups, drawings, manuals, parts list, OEM manuals etc.
• Implementation/development and or management of engineering systems and processes including but not limited to CMMS, Fleet, Scada etc.
• Provide expert technical support during engineering project execution, task and CI initiatives to maintain high standards.
• Conducts assessments and ensures compliance to standards
• Conducts risk assessments and highlights shortcomings
• Leads specialist studies and RCA's into complex failures
• Develops and or inputs into major equipment repair scopes and conducts off site specialist QA during both manufacturing and repair processes
Maintenance Budgeting and Cost Control:
• To develop and maintain 3 year budqet forecasts aligned to the mine plan
• To manage engineering and maintenance costs to within the approved budgets
• To bench mark engineering costs and implement strategies to improve cost performance
• Provides strong contract management and assurance both on quality and cost in terms of outsourced and other service provider contracts inclusive of query and dispute resolution, warrantee and quality of work/service.
Site Capital Process:
• To manage a risk and opportunity register for the site and to make appropriate application for capital to mitigate or exploit these
• To specifically undertake asset integrity reviews thereby ensuring that risks associated with amongst others degenerating equipment/plant, obsolesce etc are specifically addressed
• To develop business cases to support these investment decisions
• Manage a capital program for site inclusive of contractor administration and contractual matters arising.
As an AGA Geita Gold Mine employee, you are also accountable for the following:
• Commit your best endeavors and full capability to the work assigned to you by your manager.
• Advise your manager if you do not understand the work they have assigned to you, or if the assignment does not fit with your knowledge of the circumstances, current skills or available time and resources.
• Advise your manager of any situations or conditions that could create obstacles to, or opportunities for, the work of the managerial team or company.
• Demonstrate work behaviors consistent with the company values and work within prescribed boundaries, including required behaviors, company policies, standards, procedures and Legislation requirements.
• Disclose timely information to your manager when accountability cannot be met within limits or can be met with less time or resources than planned.
Mode of Application:
Application cover letter (Subject should be: Application for Manager: Engineering and Asset Management and/or quote the job number), detailed CV, copies of relevant certificates, e- mail and telephone contacts, names and addresses of three referees, to be forwarded to below address.
You will be required to bring original certificates if you are contacted for interviews. Contact Address: Senior Manager Human Resources,
Geita Gold Mining Ltd,
NB: Internal applicants may submit applications to departmental Senior HR Officer. All internal applications must be endorsed by the applicant's head of department.
Application letters should reach the above on or before 24th September, 2017 - 17hr30.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.