The Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund
Ref. No. AECF/PO/2017/042
Job Title: Portfolio Officer (3)Position Level: JG5 and JG6
Reports to: Portfolio Manager
Department: Investment and Portfolio
Start Date: August 2017
Locations: Kenya (2) and Tanzania (1)
The Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund (AECF) is a US$ 265 million private sector challenge fund that provides catalytic funding to enterprises in 24 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa. The fund supports innovative commercial businesses in the agribusiness, renewable energy and adaptation to climate change technology sectors with the aim of reducing rural poverty, promoting resilient rural communities and creating jobs through private sector development. We invest in businesses that are seen as “risky” and that struggle to meet traditional risk-return standards for commercial investors and which offer significant impact on poverty alleviation by creating jobs and sustainable incomes.
The AECF was launched at the World Economic Forum as an initiative of the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA). Since 2008, it has been supported by donor governments namely Australia, Canada, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden, United Kingdom, and international finance institutions such as the Consultative Group to Assist the Poor and IFAD.
In 2017, the AECF entered a new phase as an independent entity with the objective of expanding its geographical reach, grow its funding base and increase its transformative impact on inclusive growth. To achieve this the Fund will deepen its focus on gender issues, youth and employment. The new strategy will build on the Fund’s track record of creating sustainable rural livelihoods through private sector-led initiatives that change the way markets work for the poor.
The Portfolio Officer will be responsible for providing broad-based technical support in selecting, managing and monitoring the AECF Ltd project portfolio. To be successful, the selected candidates will require an in-depth knowledge of private sector financing as it relates to one or more of the following areas: agriculture, agribusiness, SME finance, rural financial services and communications systems, renewable energy and adaptations to combat climate change.
Specific roles and responsibilities will include:
Proposal Development, Review and Portfolio Growth:
• Support (in certain cases lead) the development of portfolio management plans, in line with the overall AECF Ltd. operational and technical management strategy.
Managing Potential Grantees:
• Guide applicants and portfolio companies on business planning and ongoing implementation of the AECF-funded projects including providing limited technical and management assistance
• Participate in seeking projects with the potential to create/ stimulate transformational impact
among participating target groups and inspire open source of ideas/ tools and best practices.
• Assure quality of outcomes (with indicators, baseline and targets) and progress indicators developed by the potential grantees, in collaboration with the AECF Monitoring Evaluation and Learning team.
Managing/ Monitoring of Existing Grantees:
• Coordinate review of grantees progress reports and feedback process.
• Conduct project site visits on a periodic basis to ensure that: project implementation is on track; performance targets are being met; progress reporting is timely and accurate; and project funds are utilized in an appropriate and transparent manner.
• Contribute to the identification of grantees who require Technical Assistance (TA) and arrange to deliver services based on the AECF TA and Learning service delivery framework.
• Work with Grants Officers to recover outstanding repayable grants when due from relevant grantees.
• Ensure that paper and computer grant files are complete, accurate and current. Maintain
statistical information regarding funding activity.
• Ensure portfolio database is updated and secured.
Networking/ Linkages, Relationship Building and Management
• Contribute to the establishment of appropriate linkages with the relevant state/ government departments, donors, private sector bodies, potential project partners, and civil society.
• Contribute to the wider learning agenda of The AECF Ltd. (in liaison with M&E team), to further the reputation and have a wider systemic impact on the relevant market systems in Africa, and promote relevant advocacy efforts.
Financial Management and Reporting
• Adhere to the financial, accounting and procurement policies, procedures and systems in liaison with the relevant Finance Officers.
Risk Management and Compliance
• Ensure compliance to internal controls and risk management of the portfolio in accordance with the wider AECF risk management framework.
Required qualifications and experience:
Relevant undergraduate degree from a reputable institution.
Masters qualification in Finance, Business, Economics, Development Studies, Agricultural Economics, or other relevant field of study.
Five years of experience in one or more of the following areas: finance, agriculture, agribusiness, SME finance, rural financial services and communications systems, renewable energy and adaptations to combat climate change.
Proven project management and implementation skills with the ability to work with a diverse group of clients.
A good understanding of rural and/or financial service markets in Africa.
An understanding of donors’ operations and international development organizations.
Excellent analytical and communication skills with the ability to prepare proposals, reports and concept papers to a high level of proficiency.
Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in cross-cultural teams.
Proficiency in English (oral and written) is a requirement.
Knowledge of French or Portuguese is strongly preferred for the positions in Kenya
If you believe you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role, please submit your application quoting the Job Title and Reference Number on your application letter, and attach a detailed CV, stating your current position, current and expected remuneration, e-mail and telephone contacts. The position in Tanzania is open to Tanzanian nationals only.
To be considered, your application must be received by Friday 16th June 2017 addressed to: email@example.com
NAFASI ZA KAZI/AJIRA The Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund (AECF)
Avoid scams : NEVER pay to have your CV / Application pushed forward. Any job vacancy requesting payment for any reason is a SCAM.