Management and Development for Health (MDH) is a non for profit organization in Tanzania contributing to address public health priorities. MDH works with the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children; as well as academic and non-academic institutions to address the problems of tuberculosis, malaria, HIV/AIDS, nutrition, maternal and child health and to undertake initiatives to advance public health research, education, and services for improving the lives of people. MDH seeks to recruit qualified individuals to fill the following positions based in Dar es Salaam and Kagera:
1. Prevention Services Senior Officer - 1 post
Located at MDH Head Office, this position reports to the Prevention Services Manager. The Prevention Services Senior Officer (PS-SO) is a self-motivated individual who will assist the Prevention services manager (PSM) provide oversight to Program activities with the different partners including the project sites. He/She will be responsible to the PS-M and will work in close collaboration with the relevant region, district level staff and other heads of departments and units with MDH.Duties:
The PS-SO is responsible to assist the PSM to ensure that MDH supported sites meet national standard for HIV prevention with positives services which will include:
- Provision of minimum package of prevention services including screening for the opportunistic infections
- Work closely with the CHMT in organizing sensitization meetings at the district and facility level on BCC to address risk reduction behaviors
- To provide Technical Assistance in implementing adherence to treatment initiatives.
- Facilitate the CHMTs in ensuring STI screening and treatment is done in accordance with the national HIV/AIDS/STI guideline.
- Work closely with CHMTs in the scale up of Provider Initiated Counseling and Testing (PITC) services to partners and children through sensitization and training of HCW
- Work closely with CHMTs in the strengthening of the integration of family planning services in CTC as part of PMTCT by reducing unwanted pregnancies
Assist the PS-M with the implementation of integrated referral and tracking systems to minimize the loss to follow up of pre-ART and ART clients through improving evidence linkages between health facilities and community.
Assist the PS-M with the implementation of the health facility based GBV services in integrated HIV care and treatment clinics
Assist the PS-M with the implementation of the health facility Cervical Cancer Prevention services in integrated HIV care and treatment clinics.
Assist the PS-M with achievement of agreed targets and outputs of HIV care and support at facility including nutrition support for PLHIV
Collaborate with CHMTs in identifying training needs for sites, districts and regional personnel and organize trainings for site level staff using currently recommended national curriculums
Assist the PS-M in developing proposals, budgets, work-plans and reports related to MDH’s Prevention activities
Assist the PS-M in preparing the quarterly, semiannually and annually narrative reports to be submitted to key stakeholders.
Assist the PS-M in writing proposals for new grants/ business development on positive health dignity prevention initiatives at least one per year
Assist the PS-M in identifying priority questions for operational research and carry out OR to guide on best practices in program implementation
Carry out any other responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
Experience, academic and professional qualifications
a) University degree in Medicine/Nursing
b) Post graduate diploma /Advanced diploma in Clinical Medicine.
c) At least 3 years experience in the relevant field
d) Should be familiar with Ministry of Health Prevention Policies
e) Good communication skills both in English and Kiswahili.
2. Maternal and Child Health Senior Officer - 1 post
This position is located at MDH Head Office and reports to the Maternal and Child Health Manager.
The Maternal and Child Health Senior Officer is a self-motivated individual who will assist the MCH Manager to provide oversight to Program activities with the different partners including the project sites. He/She will responsible to the Maternal and child health manager and will work in close collaboration with the Regional and District reproductive and child health coordinators, to support Maternal health initiatives with focus on PMTCT and HIV early infant diagnosis.
The MCH-Senior Officer is responsible to assist MCH-Manager in ensuring that MDH supported program sites meet national standard for PMTCT/EID and Maternal health improvement initiatives by:
- Assisting MDH supported Reproductive and Child health clinics (RCH) and labour wards meet the national standards for comprehensive PMTCT and EID.
- Providing TA in implementation of national standards for PMTCT and Early infant diagnosis at Dar es Salaam districts
- Assisting in identification of training needs for sites, districts and regional personnel and organize trainings for site level staff using currently recommended national curriculums
- Collaborating with national, regional and district level RCHS to develop a mentorship program for site staff work in RCHS clinics.
Work together with MCH-Manager to ensure that MDH supported sites implement integrated and comprehensive package of PMTCT, and HEID at all levels through:
- Participation in supportive supervision with district teams for PMTCT/HEID and other maternal health services including BEmOC/ EmOC, FANC, etc
- Support and supervise mentorship activities for PMTCT/HEID and other maternal health services including BEmOC/EmOC, FANC etc
- Assist the MCH-M in achieving the agreed program targets for PMTCT/HEID and Maternal health
- Assist the MCH-M in strengthening systems for M&E of PMTCT, and Maternal health services
Assist MCH-M in the development of proposals, budgets, workplans and reports related to MDH’s Maternal and Child health including PMTCT and EID activities
Assist MCH-M in preparation of quarterly, semiannually and annually narrative reports to be submitted to key stakeholders.
Assist MCH-M in secondary analysis of data and writing conference abstracts and manuscripts for publication
Support various trainings related to maternal and child health improving initiatives including
PMTCT/HEID.in collaboration with MCH-M and Training manager.
Carry out any other responsibilities as assigned by the line manager.
Experience, academic and professional qualifications requirements:
a) University degree in Medicine/Nursing
b) Public Health; women and Reproductive Health education
c) At least 3 year experience in Maternal and Child Health clinical activity
d) Good communication skills in both English and Kiswahili
e) Ability to collaborate and work well with related District staff and other partners.
3. TB/HIV/ART Senior Officer - 1 post
This position is located at MDH Head Office and reports to the TB/HIV&ART Manager.
The TB/HIV & ART Senior Officer (TBHV/ART-SO) is a self-motivated individual who will assist the TB/HIV&ART Services Manager (TBHV/ART–M)to provide oversight to Program activities with the different partners including the project sites. He/She will responsible to the TBHV/ART–M and will work in close collaboration with the District technical teams and other program managers.
The TBHV/ART-SO is responsible to assist TBHV-M for ensuring that MDH supported program meets national standard for TB/HIV collaborative initiatives by:
- Providing TA in implementation of national standards for TB/HIV and other infectious diseases at Dar es Salaam districts
- In cooperation with MDH’s Training and Capacity Building department (TCB), the TBHVARTSO will collaborate with CHMTs to identify training needs for sites, districts and regional personnel and organize trainings for site level staff using currently recommended national curriculums
- Collaborate with National, regional and district level TB/HIV to develop a mentorship program for site staff work in TB, CTC, and RCHS clinics
Work with TBHV/ART-M to ensures that MDH supported sites implement integrated and comprehensive package of TB/HIV collaborative services at all levels through:
- Participation in supportive supervision with district teams
- Participate in development and implementation of the national guidelines and tools for TB/HIV and care and treatment (paper tool and/or software) are available and properly used at all MDH-supported sites
- Be responsible with the achievements program targets for TB/HV and HIV care and treatment
- Strengthen systems for M&E of TB/HIV and Care and treatment
Assist the TBHV/ART–M in developing proposals, budgets, workplans and reports related to MDH’s TB/HIV activities
Assist the TBHV/ART–M in preparing quarterly, semiannually and annually narrative reports to be submitted to key stakeholders.
Assist the TBHV/ART–M in writing a minimum of one proposal for new grants/ business development on TB/HIV service improvement initiatives
Assist the TBHV/ART–M in identifying priority questions for operational research and carry out OR to guide on best practices in program implementation
Assist the TBHV/ART–M in conducting various trainings related to TB/HIV and care and treatment
Carry out any other responsibilities as assigned by the line manager.
Requirements: Experience, educational and professional qualifications
a) University degree in Medicine/Nursing or
b) Diploma in Medicine with Postgraduate training in TB/HIVART
c) At least 3 year work experience in the relevant field
d) Ability to identify and work with other partners and collaborators in the relevant field.
4. LABORATORY SERVICE MANAGER (LSM) 1 post, Dar es Salaam
Reports to the Director of Health Systems Strengthening and SI
The Laboratory Services Manager (LSM) is a self-motivated individual who will provide oversight to laboratory activities and work with the different partners in providing technical support to MDH supported sites. He/She will be responsible to the Director of Director of Health Systems Strengthening and SI and will work in close collaboration with the districts laboratory coordinators and be a link between MDH and District laboratory technologists and other supporting units’ heads.
The LSM is responsible for ensuring that MDH supported sites meets national standard for laboratory practice required to support quality healthcare delivery especially HIV care and treatment program including TB/HIV, and PMTCT by:
- Strengthen Viral load Service by providing technical support focusing on sample collection, packaging,
testing, and result reporting
- Expand and strengthen EQA services especially for HIV rapid test
- Collaborate with stakeholders to implement national laboratory sample referral system
- Promote biosafety in all MDH supported sites
- Develop and implement effective protocols for laboratory information management
- In cooperation with MDH’s training unit, the LSM will identify training needs for sites, districts and regional laboratory personnel, and develop training program
- Building capacity through mentorship of laboratory personnel and organize coaching sessions for site level staff using currently recommended national curriculums and advance curriculums
- Collaborate with National, regional and district level Laboratory advisors to develop a mentorship program for site level lab personnel.
Ensuring good quality clinical laboratory testing in MDH supported private and public sites
- Conduct baseline assessments to inform program planning and resources allocation
- Conduct ongoing assessments of Laboratory Quality Systems within the MDH supported labs; identify areas for quality improvement and provide advice and technical assistance.
- Ensure that SOPs, laboratory manuals, guidelines, worksheets and forms are being appropriately utilized at all sites and assist in the modification of these forms whenever appropriate.
- Ensure constant availability of reagents/ other lab supplies and equipment proper functioning to the sites
Play leadership role in provision of technical assistance for the selected labs for accreditation and make sure systems are in place to achieve accreditation
Play key role in management of laboratory which performs advanced laboratory tests using newer techniques and serve as the best model for good laboratory practice training center, while providing technical assistance and build net working to other periphery laboratories in Temeke and the entire DSM region.
Play key role in the development of proposals, budgets, work-plans and reports related to MDH’s Laboratory services support activities.
Facilitate Reporting by preparing quarterly, semiannually and annually narrative reports to be submitted to key stakeholders.
Actively participate and advise management in solicitation and writing of proposals for new grants/ business development focusing on strategies to improve capacity of district labs and lower level facility labs to improve capacity and laboratory systems.
Identify priority questions for operational research and carry out OR of innovative strategies for strengthening laboratory activities to improve quality of clinical care.
Carry out any other responsibilities as assigned by the immediate supervisor.
a) Master degree in laboratory science or equivalent
b) Background in public health will be considered an advantage
c) Five year of working in a laboratory leadership position
d) Work experience in HIV/AID care and treatment program will be considered an advantage
5. CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is second in the hierarchy, supporting the CEO to ensure that MDH is managed in an orderly, effective and efficient manner to achieve its vision and mission. The COO is part of Senior Management Team (SMT) who together with the CEO oversees the implementation of programs, projects and respective departments including finance, sub award management, strategic information, research, procurement and logistics, human resources, information communication technology, administration, compliance and audit. Together with the CEO, the COO will also participate in all MDH board meetings and will lead resource mobilization strategy to ensure the organization is well funded to achieve its mission.
Duties and responsibilities
The COO will be immediate assistant and adviser to the CEO. She/he will represent CEO in all matters and meetings the CEO is not able to attend
The COO will be responsible for strategic planning and its implementation
The COO will lead in the strategic and resource mobilization process
The COO will work closely with the CEO on governance issues including board business
Accounting and Finance
Ensures that all payments are properly prepared, reviewed, approved and documented, in line with all appropriate policies, procedures, authority levels, and local laws, and ensures that this information is properly entered into the accounting system;
Oversees the month –end close reporting processes for program and finance;
Oversee payroll processes;
Analyses monthly and quarterly financial reports and ensure that burn rate is in accordance with agreed budget;
Manages overall cash needs and forecasts of the organization;
Oversee and leads budget development process and developing systems to ensure activities are implemented in line with approved budgets;
Sub- Award Management
Oversees the management of all sub –agreements with partners in collaboration with grants and compliance department by ;
Identifying and assessing potential collaborating and implementing partners for MDH
Building the operational capacity of MDH partners and implement systems to monitor the operational management and performance of these partners.
Ensuring that all documentation regarding the management of these agreements are complete and well organized as well as liaise with the CEO’s office regarding all applicable agreement matters including the close –out of these agreements.
Ensuring that sub grantees fully comply with terms and conditions set by donors & MDH
Review performance reports including progress reports, advance, financial and compliance reports
Procurement, administration and Logistics.
Advices the procurement and administration departments on all processes for the procurement of all goods and services to be purchased following rules and regulations of MDH and funders;
Ensure program and operational needs are fulfilled in a timely manner;
Manages relationship with vendors for goods, works and services;
Ensures all procurement are properly documented and all appropriate pre-approvals are obtained.
Ensures that an inventory system of property and equipment is up to date and reviewed;
Ensures fleets are properly managed, maintained, proper usage and adequately documented
Oversee tax and duties exemption for MDH and sub grantees based on government rules and regulations
Oversees the general maintenance, security and use of the MDH office premises, equipment and supplies and ensures that appropriate procedures are in place for receiving visitors and external phone calls.
Oversees the implementation of the performance management and compensation systems;
Work closely with HR department to participate and/or conduct salary survey and benchmark the organization to ensure MDH remain competitive in the labor market
Oversees HR functions including but not limited to employee contracts, personnel files, retention, motivation, recruitment process, management of leave, staff development, HR manual, job analysis and descriptions, and the accurate and timely submission of all HR reports;
Ensures an accurate and up-to-date Business Continuity Plan is in place, as well as on-boarding and exiting procedures for all staff;
Oversees work visa application and renewal processes.
Information Communication Technology
Ensures all appropriate IT equipment and infrastructure is in place, well-maintained and used to give the organization a competitive advantage
Ensuring the organization advances ahead in ICT on the area of program, finance, strategic information, human resources, procurement, internet, email, etc.
Ensuring health facilities supported by the MDH are highly encouraged to use modern ICT
Adequate policies and procedures are in place and applied on data management
Encouraging staff and partners to use system generated information for decision making
Compliance & Audit
Ensures that a ‘Culture of compliance’ is adopted in accordance to government laws, rules regulations as well as the donor terms and conditions and MDH policies and procedures by providing clear guidance to all staff, partners and other stakeholder and monitoring systems to ensure all activities are implemented and documented in accordance with these policies.
Ensuring audit financial statements and reports are submitted to donor and government in a timely manner
Oversee compliance department
Takes the lead in preparing for and facilitating the intern audit, external audit, government audit and donor audit.
Ensuring MDH internal controls are adequate, solid, effective and efficient to achieve MDH vision and mission
Preparing action plan for audit recommendations
Experience, academic, and professional qualifications requirements:
Proven 5 years’ experience in strategic planning and resource mobilization
Proven 5 years’ experience in and program, project, budgeting and workplan management
7 years leadership and administration experience with a large Non-Governmental Organization (NGO)
5 years senior leadership experience with USG and other donor funded programs
5 years’ experience in grants management including managing sub grantees
Master’s degree, preferably MBA or MPH. Relevant professional qualifications will be an added advantage
Demonstrated experience in financial management, cash forecast, financial reporting requirement
Experience in handling and managing external, compliance and internal audit processes
Experience in governance, board processes and ability to run the office in the absence of the CEO
Ability to engage and negotiate with funders, government, CSO and other development partners
How to apply:
Interested candidates for any of the above positions should submit an application letter indicating the position applied for, a detailed copy of their CV, and names and contact information (email addresses and telephone numbers) of three work related referees.
Applications should be submitted by 15th August 2016, to the Human Resource Manager through email email@example.com or dropped by hand at the MDH Head Office in Mikocheni, along Mwai Kibaki Road, Plot No. 802.
Kindly note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Follow us on Instagram
Avoid scams : NEVER pay to have your CV / Application pushed forward. Any job vacancy requesting payment for any reason is a SCAM.============
Are you disappointed by fruitless job applications and never get shortlisted? The problem is not you, its your CV. This comes to an end, Now for outstanding CV and Jobs professional advice, contact Bright Professionals Tanzania and grab your dream job. We also prepare social science business researches and proposals.
Contact us via
Phone: 0678 226 793