The Mwanza Intervention Trials Unit (MITU) based at the National Institute for Medical Research campus in Mwanza, Tanzania is a collaborative research unit of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and the National Institute for Medical Research. The mission of the Mwanza Intervention Trials Unit is to contribute to improving health through the development and evaluation of interventions against infections, cancer and other health problems by conducting research, including clinical trials, to the highest international standards. MITU aims to enhance the capacity to carry out such research in Tanzania and to contribute to the translation of research findings into health policy. The Unit is currently collaborating with other international research partners on an exciting 3 year clinical trial (the DoRIS trial) to compare the safety and immunogenicity of a one, two and three dose schedule of human papillomavirus vaccines that can prevent cervical cancer. The study will be conducted in healthy females in Mwanza city. The Unit is now inviting applications from motivated and suitably qualified candidates to fill the following position that will be based at the research laboratory of the National Institute of Medical Research (NIMR), Mwanza.============
2. IMMUNOLOGY LABORATORY TECHNICIAN (1 POSITION)
The successful candidate will be responsible for processing of blood samples and performing immunology assays for the DoRIS trial.
· Performing tasks in accordance with GCP and GCLP guidelines.
· Receipt and processing of human blood samples obtained from participants enrolled in clinical trials for recovery of peripheral blood mononuclear cells and subsequently performing cell counts with the use of both manual and automated techniques.
· Cryopreservation of blood components.
· Providing backup support to other laboratory areas including immunoassays such as ELISA.
· Performing quality control of all performance techniques.
· Accurate entry of sample information into the laboratory information management system and periodical maintenance of data spreadsheets.
· Maintaining an inventory of sample aliquots produced and their location and the preparation of samples for transfer to the NIMR Archive.
· Maintaining any documentation related to research assays and running the laboratory, such as standard operating procedures (SOPs).
· Maintenance of equipment including keeping daily logs of equipment and routine cleaning of laboratory work areas.
· Participation in organizing shipment of samples in accordance with the IATA guidelines.
· Weekly meeting attendance and participation.
· Following and ensuring strict safety procedures and safety checks.
- Perform any other duties related to the DoRIS trial as may be assigned by the lab supervisor, lab manager and the principal investigators.
· Bachelor’s degree in Biomedical Laboratory Technology or a related discipline.
· At least one year’s work experience as an immunology technician.
· Proven ability to draft and follow established SOPs.
· Demonstrable ability to organize workflow efficiently.
· Proficiency using MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
· Work experience in a research laboratory setting
· Experience in processing blood samples for immunological assays.
· Fluent in spoken and written English
· Post graduate/advanced training in immunology.
· Ability to multi-task since each clinical protocol may have unique processing requirements.
· Experience working with clinical trials or research studies.
- Trained in GCP and GCLP.
- Previous experience working in a GCLP-compliant and/or accredited laboratory
- Previous experience working in multi-disciplinary teams (e.g. with epidemiologists, clinicians)
Mode of application: All applications must be sent by email to the address below.
- Letter of application addressed to Dr Severin Kabakama with details of WHICH POST you are applying for and how you meet EACH of the above criteria and your suitability for the post.
- A daytime mobile telephone number and e-mail contact details.
- Curriculum vitae (CV) including names and addresses of three referees (two must be from your most recent employers).
- Copies of all relevant certificates and memberships and qualifications.
Closing date for applications
- Applications received later than 10th July 2016 will not be considered
- Interviews will be held at the earliest available opportunity and you will be notified by email if you are selected for interview.
All documents to be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
A competitive remuneration package will be offered.
Avoid scams : NEVER pay to have your CV / Application pushed forward. Any job vacancy requesting payment for any reason is a SCAM.