The Mwanza Intervention Trials Unit (MITU)
National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR)
+255 (0) 28 250 0019
Fax: +25528 2542182
MITU, P.O. Box 11936,
The Mwanza Intervention Trials Unit (MITU) based at the National Institute for Medical Research campus in Mwanza, Tanzania is a collaborative research unit of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and the National Institute for Medical Research. The mission of the Mwanza Intervention Trials Unit is to contribute to improving health through the development and evaluation of interventions against HIV and other health problems by conducting research, including clinical trials, to the highest international standards; to enhance the capacity to carry out such research in Tanzania and the East African region; and to contribute to the translation of research findings into health policy. The Unit is now inviting applications from motivated and suitably qualified candidates to fill the following position:
MAISHA Deputy Study Coordinator
The Deputy Study Coordinator will be a member of MITU, based full-time in Mwanza, and take responsibility for day-to-day management of the MAISHA Study. The contract will be offered for a period of 12 months in the first instance. . ..
MAISHA is an ongoing mixed methods study that comprises two cluster randomized controlled trials (RCTs), an In-depth qualitative study, an integrated process evaluation and economic evaluation and a cross-sectional survey of men. The overall aim of the study is to evaluate interventions to reduce intimate partner violence against women. The first cluster RCT (Component A) will evaluate a combined microfinance and participatory gender training intervention for women and the second cluster RCT (Component B) will evaluate a participatory gender training inten/en- tion for women and their male partners. Recruitment of groups of women and delivery of the intervention is complete for Component A with follow-up of participants for the primary and secondary outcomes due to commence in May 2017. Recruitment of groups of women and their male partners to Component B and delivery of the intervention is ongoing.
The post holder will report to the Study Coordinator and will work closely with the Principal Investigators (Pis), and will have an opportunity to contrib¬ute to the publication of scientific results.
• Plan, manage and supervise the research operations in Mwanza, to ensure that the study is carried out to the highest ethical and scientific standards,
• Collaborate with MITU staff and staff from partner organisations, including senior investigators from NIMR and LSHTM.
• Work closely with the Senior Community Liaison Officer at MITU on community engagement activities
• Work closely with the Team Leaders for the Recruitment/Survey and Intervention Teams on day-to-day activities.
• Supervise and coordinate screening and enrolment of groups of women and their male partners.
• Supervise and coordinate delivery ot me intervention.
• Ensure that study participants are retained for the duration of the study and that tools are regularly updated to monitor follow-up activities.
• Ensure that standard operating procedures are reviewed regularly and updated as required,
• Ensure that study processes and procedures are followed to ensure efficient conduct of the study.
Maintain administrative and communication systems for the study. Maintain the Study Master File.
Submit annual progress reports, and amendments to the study protocol as required, to the Tanzanian and LSHTM ethics committees. Liaise with the study qualitative and data management teams to ensure activities are coordinated and run to schedule.
Manage data queries from the data management team and supervise the study team in responding to queries.
Assist with managing the project budget and other project resources. Contribute in the preparation of scientific reports and publications, and their presentation at national and international meetings.
Participate in developing the capacity of junior study staff.
Promote MITU and its core values, and play a supportive role in the delivery of its day-to-day operations and strategic goals.
Play an active part in promoting the scientific life at the NIMR Mwanza campus.
Undertake such other tasks as may reasonably be expected by the Report regularly to the Pis on the progress ot the research.
Essential criteria for selection
■ A postgraduate qualification in public health, gender or related fields.
• At least two years practical experience of research project manage-
meqt in a developing country.
• Be familiar with the principles of good research practice.
• Proven managerial and organizational skills
• Previous experience of managing research staff.
• Demonstrates capacity to work on own initiative and independently.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in Kiswahili and English.
• Demonstrates excellent attention to details.
• Demonstrates commitment to working as part of a multidisciplinary research team.
• Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
• Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Desirable criteria for selection
* Experience in the field of gender-based violence research.
• Experience of working in multi-centre studies.
Mode of application:
All candidates meeting the above job requirements should submit their application letters with detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact address, e-mail, telephone numbers, and photocopies ol academic and profe|sonal certificates to the address below. The application letter should also detail why the applicant is interested in this position and demonstrate how the applicant meets each of the criteria listed above.
The dead line for this application is 18th May 2016.
Interviews will Be held in Mwanza, and candidates will be notified by phone/email if selected for interview.
A competitive remuneration package will Be offered. E -Mail: email@example.com
Source: The Guardian 20th April 2016
Are you applying for job many times and not shortlisted? Now its your time to be called for interview. Get the best CV from professionals within 48 hrs.Call 0658343074 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you disappointed by fruitless job applications and never get shortlisted? The problem is not you, its your CV. This comes to an end, Now for outstanding CV and Jobs professional advice, contact Bright Professionals Tanzania and grab your dream job. We also prepare social science business researches and proposals.
Phone +255 678 226 793