INTERNATIONAL CENTRE FOR TROPICAL AGRICULTURE (CIAT)
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITYJob Title: Recruiting a Maize Seed Systems Officer for CIMMYT
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.cgiar.org.
CIMMYT is seeking for a dynamic, self-motivated, results-oriented, Seed Systems Officer to support implementation of activities of DTMASS project and providing technical support to in-country partners (private/public seed companies, NARS, NGOs).
The Maize Seed Systems Officer has the responsibility for providing timely, high-quality technical assistance to in-country maize seed production partners on best practices for drought tolerant maize (DTM) variety production (from breeding to post-certification mass production) to engender independent and sustainable local early generation seed (EGS) and Certified DTM seed production.
The selected candidate will work with and report to CIMMYT’s Principle Investigator - Maize Seed Specialist. The position is based at CIMMYT office in Arusha, Tanzania. CIMMYT in Arusha is hosted by the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) - (www.ciat.cgiar.org).
Main duties and responsibilities include
• Under the direction of the Principle Investigator, implement technical support and capacity building efforts to in-country seed companies (public and private) on DTM seed production
• Assist multiplying initial pre-basic and basic seed to help private seed companies to quickly scale seed production of drought-tolerant maize varieties.
• Assist and coordinate the production of Early Generation seed to meet the demands by private seed companies and other partners.
• Provide technical support for the production of certified seed by companies and distribution in the Project target zones.
• Support other seed system specialists and scientists in engaging seed producers for the development of sustainable seed networks and markets.
• Assist in developing and improving capacity of seed sector partners through training and other related capacity-building initiatives.
• Assist and monitor variety demonstrations conducted by seed companies and NGOs to promote drought-tolerant maize varieties
• Ensure with the relevant bodies, the partner compliance with all relevant seed quality and production and storage standards as needed
• Support seed company partners in timely and accurate recording of seed production Progress Reports, including the reporting of any challenges
• Provide logistical and technical support for any in-country training or workshops
• Assist CIMMYT staff and consultants in any business and marketing support efforts to in-country seed production partners
• Support CIMMYT Communications staff in preparing materials for publication on DTMASS efforts and project success stories.
Required competencies, skills and experience
• MSc in Agriculture or related field
• Minimum 3-5 years of relevant experience in maize seed production, maize breeding, agronomy or related field.
• Experience working with public and private seed sectors
• Experience in organizing and implementing variety demonstrations, field days, other promotion activities
International Centre for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT)
Recruiting a Maize Seed Systems Officer for CIMMYT
• Experience in collecting DUS and VCU data
• Experience in training or skills transfer
• Ability to work with different nationalities, as a member of a diverse work team, motivate and support partners, and communicate successes and challenges in a timely manner
• Ability to prepare project documents and reports with minimal assistance
• Basic computer skills (MSOffice, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail, etc.)
• Skills in database or research applications desirable
• Valid Driver’s License
• Ability to read, speak and write in English
Terms of employment
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.
This is a national position and will be for an initial period of Two (2) Years, renewable subject to three (3) months’ probation, assessment of performance, and availability of resources.
How to apply
Applicants are invited to visit http://ciat.cgiar.org/ciat-jobs to submit their applications for this position.
Applications closing date: 12th February, 2016
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Source: The Guardian 29th January, 2016
Avoid scams : NEVER pay to have your CV / Application pushed forward. Any job vacancy requesting payment for any reason is a SCAM.